Monday 12 October 2009

Let the show begin


Just over 2 weeks ago, I flew back from Malta to London. I lost track of how many such flights I have done since September 2007..16? 17? Quite a few - AirMalta certainly made a profit these past few years!

Back in 09/2007, I came to London for the first time (actually, the first was 01/2007 when I came for a 3 day visit to get myself oriented in this cosmopolitan, ordered chaos). I applied to do a 1 year full time M.Sc. degree at Imperial College, presumably the best engineering learning centre in the world (well, debatable according to fellow colleagues from UCL, Oxford etc). It was a challenge, a dream, a goal. Challenge: like virtually all Maltese who are still not married, I never lived outside home all alone so had to feed, cleanse and safeguard myself in a great city together with a few other millions from all over the globe. Dream: I finally got to see all the Rogers and Foster and Piano and Wren and Pugin icons which I had long gazed upon only in books and Wiki. Goal: I wanted to pursue in the study of structural engineering - my greatest passion in life.

Time flew, quite literally since I travelled to and fro London-Malta-London many a time, and I successfully completed the M.Sc. with a distinction. A corollary followed: working in London with a structural engineering consultancy. It was yet another exciting time, engaged in design of high-rises and great engineering challenges, putting into use some of my M.Sc.-acquired skills. Alas a short lived time; after 7 months, I packed my belongings (say, 100-120kg worth of luggage) and headed back to Malta in 04/09...for various reasons.

Every cloud has a silver lining - back at home I got to work in a lively office with very lively colleagues working on even more lively projects. Then a phone call from London, from Imperial to be precise: an offer to start a Ph.D. program.

With much consideration and discussion with my better half and family, I accepted and was scheduled to fly on 27/09/09. I have special ties with the number 27, so perhaps it was a good day to fly (mind you, I am not superstitious). All I know is that I am now here, the Ph.D. is up and running and will be scribbling (well, typing) a few thoughts every once in a while...and that's what's this is all about!


1 comment:

  1. if there were a 'like' button similar to facebook.. i would 'like' this, but alas... blogging is a good idea- i still say i want to do it. but what i wanted to say- yr writing really reflects u!! :) keep it coming dude
    eb

    ReplyDelete