Saturday 13 November 2010

A week up in the north


After the weekend in Essex, it was time for me to travel up to the north of England, the furthest north I have been so far in the country (and indeed the furthest in the Europe or even in the world!) but this trip was no holiday; I was attending the Simulia UK RUM 2010, or, in layman's terms, a conference...

One thing to immediately comment about: the English love their acronyms! Everything is abbreviated (even the name of their country is reduced to UK). During my first weeks at uni, I was confused by all the jargon involving 2 or 3 letter "words" all over the campus: SCR, JCR, SAF, ICT and all the others related to my work: MOD, DSTL, UD, PUR and what not. Oh, by the way, the RUM signifies "Regional Users' Meeting"; the conference was really a gathering of users from all over the UK of a particular piece of software (ABAQUS, but this is not an abbreviation, as far as I know!)

I was not quite aware of such meetings, until a few weeks back my co-supervisor sent me an email and suggested that I should attend to this 3 day conference. I gladly accepted and, after recovering from a 2 day cold last week, on Monday night, I headed off to the north, precisely to a town called Crewe up in Chesire. I was totally not familiar with the place (except for my knowing of the existence of a Chesire cat, albeit I saw no cats during my stay there) but upon arrival after a 3 hour train journey and reading almost half a novel (which I found quite pleasant - more later), I took a taxi and this took me promptly to my destination: Crewe Hall just outside the town.

Now this conference was being held at the hotel forming part of Crewe Hall and I thought it best to stay at the venue to save on daily commuting time and money. This was probably the best choice made during this week, for the place was simply wonderful. I felt like I was in a set of a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movie: an ancient, wonderfully-kept mansion with sculpture, wooden panelling and ceilings, elaborate staircases, low lighting and, of course, excellent hospitality. And the "small single bedroom" I had reserved was absolutely gorgeous: huge, warm, brand new fittings and of modern design. I indulged into the bath and slept like a baby, ready for a week's worth of listening and lobbying and talk.

The next morning, after a power shower, I headed down to the brasserie, where a massive buffet breakfast awaited. And what a breakfast that was! The conference kicked off, with intermittent coffee/tea breaks and lunch, till the evening when the whole group headed off to the main hall for a banquet. The hall was accessed from a labyrinth of high corridors, typical medieval construction, but with elaborate Victorian décor. The hall itself reminded me of that in Windsor (but on a much smaller scale, of course). The food and service were excellent and fruity, Spanish wine was flowing. A good dessert and coffee brought the first day to an end. After dinner, I wandered around the Crewe Hall and took a few shots of the lit façades and the interiors and then headed off to my room for another relaxing bath and a good sleep.

The second day was very much like the first, except that the sessions ended at 4.30pm, which gave me a good afternoon's worth of reading, during which I finished the novel I mentioned earlier. The Botticelli Secret went down quite well, especially since I like historical novels and especially when they overlap fact with fiction in a seamless fashion. After finishing Dan Brown's The lost symbol a few weeks ago, this next book I read was very fitting. In the evening, I headed down to the main restaurant and had a wonderful dinner - warm soup and grilled salmon and vegetables cooked in the most tasty way. I finished the day in the same way as before, but my new read was my revisiting of Huxley's classic Brave new world (though I only managed a few chapters, I must say that the first 1 or 2 are my absolute favourite).

The third day was a day-long seminar which included good lecturing and very practical hands-on sessions. The day came to an end around 5pm (and, by the way, in addition to the buffet breakfast, also had a buffet lunch!) and then I started my long journey back to London. During the trip, I completed Brave new world, which I found, even after having read it again, totally dramatic and was keeping me off my seat with adrenalin. My reflective moods were triggered by Huxley's fictional vision into the future (well, his future is really our present) and this made me start writing down a few ideas of my own. Nothing socio-political, for that is not my cup of tea, but more on these writings will come up in this blog for sure in the future...

Back to London, I was almost shocked to find that in a few days, my "home" city had turned into a wintry scene: all the trees in Lexham Gardens were naked and all the streets were covered in a crunching carpet of autumn colours: gold and yellow leaves all over the place. The light drizzle and quite strong wind helped, but I must say that is far "warmer" here that it was up in Crewe! I was back in the office on Friday and (almost) concluded my transfer report, which will be the official stepping up from 1st year to 2nd year of my Ph.D., which I hope to do before Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment