Sunday 1 May 2011

1 kiloNewton

I have never been much of a skinny person. The only time I remember I was "thin" was when I was 4 or 5 years old, when I suffered from tonsillitis and, at times, my throat was so badly swollen that I could not eat much. Happily my tonsils were removed and from that fateful day onwards, I have gladly devoured all that was in my way...

There were a few times when I had quite a decent weight for my height, probably due to healthy eating and regular exercise. Once in the UK, I left behind my good 75kg weight to some 85kg or 90kg over 2 years, thanks to the wonderful British cuisine. Many a time I tried to say, "That's it!" and started jogging again. Post-M.Sc. times were encouraging, for I did not need to stay at home all evening, sitting down at my desk and revising and working but I could go jogging daily. So far, so good.

All changed after the wedding. I tried to illude myself that my sudden gain in weight was the often-mentioned post-marriage male surge in weight and persisted with my bad eating habits. I had made an attempt to start exercising until winter kicked in and all came to a halt. During my Christmas trip home, I found out that I weight 90kg, which was alarming. Since I do not have a scales here in London, I had to wait till Easter to weigh myself again. Thus, last week I found out that I am now 100kg. Oh my God! 1000N. 1kN. 0.1t.

Back in London, I am now strictly avoiding all English breakfasts, all puddings, all soft drinks and beer, all massive portions and all greasy SCR lunches. I am now (as of a few days ago) eating regularly small and healthy portions and jogging everyday. I started off with 2km and I hope to increase the distance and/or speed gradually.

My great hope is that my next health-related post will be my announcement of being at least back to a 2 digit weight. And being able to fit into most of my currently unusable clothing. So help me, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment