Monday 22 August 2011

Family matters

Almost 50% of my family from my dad's side is based in the U.K. and thus for most of my life I have been somewhat detached from my uncles and aunts and cousins here. Soon after my arrival here, I quickly became acquainted with all of the Micallefs here...and their off-springs.

Very recently, 2 of my (U.K.) cousins had a baby each, a boy and a girl (another in Malta had a boy). And the wife of another cousin has a boy on the way (which relieved the pressure on me to have a son in order to keep the Micallef lineage going!) and also recently found that yet another cousin is pregnant! A lot of hormones running around these days! Anyway, it was time to christen the new boy in the family and thus we headed off to Horsham yesterday for the christening ceremony of Rowan Patrick Maude.

After a marathon of hearing nothing but the wife's thesis project, it was finally a good excuse to leave the house and enjoy the rare bits of summer 2011 in the U.K. We got an early train from Victoria and headed to Sussex and to my cousin's (extremely large, at least by London standards) house and garden. Handfuls of kids running around greeted us! We headed off to the small church hosting the baptism ceremony and soon after back home for the reception.

It was a lovely sunny and warm afternoon and we lingered in the garden, eating, drinking and chatting away till the late afternoon. It was good to catch up with some many relatives and extended family members. It is funny that virtually until 2007, I can shamefully say that I barely known my cousins (let alone their spouses) but, in the last few years, I guess I met my U.K. cousins more than I met those in Malta and am now up to scratch with them too!

After one long day, at 6pm, it was time to start our commute back to London and having said goodbye and downed one final beer, we started the journey back home and ready for another week of work. Well, Marianna's final week as a student as she concludes working on her M.Sc. thesis and also my final working week for August, before I head off to Switzerland next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment