Wednesday 5 October 2011

The beginning of the end?

Monday, 5th October, 2009: I was registered, for the second time, as a postgraduate student of Imperial College London. Wednesday, 5th October, 2011: I am now starting my third year (and, in theory, my final year) of my Ph.D. It has been a sinusoidal journey of ups and downs, with many positive academic highs and opposing dry periods, but I have survived so far. A Ph.D. is way different from all I had done in the past: nothing is really predictable, almost everything depends on third parties and pretty much everything depends on self-motivation. If I start writing about the actual Ph.D., this might turn out to be a mini-thesis, so I will stop here. But there is more to this matter...

A few weeks ago, a bomb dropped in my wife's inbox. It was a Ph.D. offer! Prior to that fateful day, I was utterly convinced that I would never recommend to anyone to enrol on a Ph.D. (I was passing through one of the unmotivated times!) but suddenly I had to change my position. Or rather, I decided to take the role of Pilate: I did not want to commit myself to suggesting a 'Yes' or a 'No'. My wife's wisdom, after several days of soul-searching, led to the 'Yes' answer, which meant refusing a job position and extending our planned stay in London by another 3 years or so. A change of plans (quite literally) overnight.

Now that the final year has officially started, it means that some of my office colleagues who were there before me when I started are now finishing off their own final year and this will entail a number of goodbyes, soon. They are, in a way, a source of inspiration to me since I am getting a sudden surge of momentum to work hard and finish my own work too. Possibly without any further extensions. Although, as it turns out now, I will be sticking around for a while, even after I am done! I am not complaining since I do love this city and am actually now looking forward to staying here for longer. Possibly seeing a Royal Coronation? No, long live the Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment