Friday 19 April 2013

Habemus philosophiae doctor

At exactly this time 24 hours ago, my Ph.D. viva kicked off in #228C of the Skempton Building of Imperial College London.  It proved to be quite an ordeal: a 5 hour long grilling session, faced with many questions and queries related to my thesis.  By the end of it, I felt physically drained.  But the experience proved many things.

Firstly, it is clear that my heart is rock solid, for I faced the stress with no cardiac complications of any sort.

Secondly, truly, where there is a will there is a way.  This was no easy task and was a roller coaster of ups and downs, many tears and much fewer laughs, but, at the end, through persistence, everything can be overcome.

Finally, in the words of the Bard, all's well that ends well.  Or rather, all's well that ends.  Full stop.

Having said that, I have a few corrections to make for the examiners' complete satisfaction, which should not take too long (at least that is what I envisage), but what matters now is that the mission I started back in October 2009 is now complete and that goal has been replaced by an accomplishment: a doctorate.  Finally, I am Dr. Karl Micallef, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment