Thursday 30 May 2013

PF follow-up

You might recall the post from last week about my PF gaffe after my momentary lapse of reason, so to speak.  Well, as embarrassing as that incident was, this week's return journey to Covent Garden was equally fruitful...

With "Inside out" and "The making of DSOM" in my carrier bag, I landed at the Seven Dials at around 4.45pm, to find a sizeable line outside the tiny Rockarchive Gallery.  Damn it, I should have arrived earlier was my initial thought as I found my place at the end of the line.  At 5pm sharp, the security people started ushering groups of 2 or 3 inside and my turn arrived less than 20 minutes later.  I saw the frail-looking Nick Mason underneath a massive print of the iconic Charlie Watts side profile photo.  To think that this character banged the drums with such fistful energy for years and is now nearing his 70s and looking almost very fragile is unreal.

Unlike a similar encounter I had had with Storm Thorgerson in 2010, Nick was typically reserved and quiet but whilst he signed my copy of his own book and I told him that I only had 1 Floyd left to meet, he asked me, "Which one?" and then smiled back at my answer.  I dared to ask if he could sign another book and he answered, "Sure, with pleasure!", which he did and then I ended my brief encounter with, "Thanks a lot, it is such a real honour to meet you!" from my side and, "Cheers, bye now" from him - predictable Englishman.

And thus I only need to find a way to meet David Gilmour and my Floyd encounters are done!  And now that I am still around in London is probably the best time to do so, although I did go to a Roger Waters concert in Malta.  Meeting such giant rock stars is an overwhelming privilege, but listening to their musical legacy is what truly matters and as long as I do not face Beethoven's fate, nothing is going to stop me from that!



No comments:

Post a Comment