Tuesday 8 December 2009

"Please mind the gap..."


For someone like me who comes from an island country having the size of Malta, the concept of distance is virtually non-existent. With a maximum length of 22km, one could drive along the entire country of Malta in just under an hour, even with decent amounts of traffic. Thus, when I first came to the U.K., the utterance, “We live only an hour away!” was totally absurd and beyond my understanding! I recall the first time I was in a car (i.e., a passenger) here in England during a drive from Guildford to Oxford with my cousin: the seemingly infinite motorway was driving me close to insanity! However, I quickly realised that England (and all other countries with the exception of Vatican, San Marino and the like) are larger, much larger, than Malta and it was legitimate to persuade myself that long-distance travel is possible.

The notion of travelling for me is limited since I live virtually on-campus and go the Imperial on foot (a 20 minute walk each way). I actually enjoy walking for various reasons: it is a healthy activity, it allows me to enjoy London’s architecture and (last, but not the least) it is free. Whenever it rains, I opt for the bus, a trip which, given the acute traffic in central London (despite the hefty £7 daily congestion charge), not surprisingly takes double the time required for me to walk! For busy commuters who wish to avoid the stressful traffic, there is the wonderful alternative that is the London Underground. A quick time for facts: London’s metro is the world’s oldest and the colour-coded Tube map is almost part of London’s identity as much as the London Eye or the Big Ben. The term ‘underground’ is somewhat misleading, given that most of the network is actually above ground but the Brits still affectionately refer to the capital’s metro as The Tube, a name derived from the tubular shape of the tunnels which form a maze deep below the busy roads of London.

Whenever I need to travel for reasonable distances, I take the Tube. It is (generally) fast, efficient and the many, many lines and possible combinations of interchanges between them almost ensure that one can get to any part of London via the metro. The Tube is managed by Transport for London (tfL), which, I must say, (generally, again) does a very good job at keeping the network running smoothly, with proper provision of information for commuters, maintenance scheduled and advertised well in advance and also improving the service. Now this whole idea of the post came about precisely after I first spotted the first advert or, I would say, propaganda poster regarding a major improvement being done on the Tube system: the extension of the Circle Line.

For the benefit of readers not acquainted with the Tube system, the network is organised into several “lines”, each with a particular name and colour, the latter easily identified on Tube maps. Thus, we have the District (green) Line, the Piccadilly (blue) Line, the Northern (black) line and so on and so forth. The upcoming tfL project is the extension of the Circle (yellow) Line. Again, for those not familiar with the Tube map, the Circle Line is, as the name suggests, a continuous line of track forming a loop around central London, effectively enclosing Zone 1 of the concentric zones forming London. Indeed, virtually all of the main London sights are within the perimeter described by the Circle Line.


I do not like the Circle Line. Let me rephrase: I do not like to use the Circle Line, for a number of reasons. For almost all of its length, the Circle Line runs in parallel with other lines (District, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City Lines) and thus one could really use any of these lines rather than the Circle. Besides, there are too many stops and bends and turns in the Circle Line route, making trips on it slow compared to, for example, the Central or Jubilee Lines. Finally, the Circle Line is virtually closed off in its entirety during weekends “for engineering work”. Thus, from a purely transportation point of view, I think the Circle Line should be closed down altogether and the yellow colour used for some other new line.

However, I must say that I love the concept of the Circle Line. The very notion of having a train network around the core of the capital which easily allows the visitor to get within reach of the must-sees using just a single line: South Ken and its museums, Westminster, Embankment, Tower Hill, Monument for St. Paul’s and all around to Baker Street and Notting Hill. Thus, from a more romantic (in its dreamy sense, of course) point of view, I think the Circle Line is the authentic London Underground line.

The new extension to the Circle Line, due to open on 13/12/09, consists of the formation of a new branch off the Circle Line (by definition, a circle cannot be extended) down to Hammersmith. Once more, this is nothing more than continuing the Circle Line in parallel with the Hammersmith & City Line and thus, in effect, is not really necessary. My point is: with the extension, the concept of the Circle Line as a circle around central London will be messed up. Ruined. Screwed. Mind you, tfL have done a very good job at informing the public: the posters are a very attractive piece of marketing design, with a yellow loop mimicking the Circle Line and the pros of the project branching off in the fashion of station names on the Tube map. However, the new branch will disrupt the continuity of the original circle, effectively making the name “Circle” redundant.


I think 13/12/09 is a sad day in the history of the Tube: a deliberate rape of my least favourite line, making it now prey to my pity. My suggestion in an attempt to restore the circular route would be to close off the Circle Line between Gloucester Road and Edgware Road (the 2 are linked by the District Line anyway) and instead link Gloucester Road with Hammersmith, making the ring complete once more. Thus, my final plea to tfL is fix the circularity of the Circle Line and my message can best be delivered using its own jargon: “Mind the gap!”

1 comment: